Job DescriptionJob Title: Surgical Technologist
Job ID: 87139210
Department: Operating Room
Want to be at the forefront of quality Cardiothoracic, Endovascular, Robotic, and Chemotherapeutic Surgical care? Then come to UPMC Shadyside where we are nationally recognized for our nursing excellence as demonstrated by the Magnet status. We are looking for a positive and energetic surgical scrub technologist to be a member of our perioperative family optimizing care and saving lives.
We are currently offering SIGN-ON BONUSES for all full-time and part-time Surgical Technologist positions! The amount of the sign-on bonus is dependent upon your years of Surgical Technology experience. Each bonus listed below requires a 2 year employment commitment. Don't miss out - apply today!
* Inexperienced Surgical Technologist - $5,000
* 1 year experience as Surgical Technologist - $7,000
* 2+ years experience as Surgical Technologist - $10,000
*Current UPMC employees are not eligible for the sign-on bonus program.
Perform a variety of tasks in an operating room that assist the surgical team. Arrange sterile setup for surgical procedures; pass instruments, sponge and suture to surgeons and surgical assistants; prepare sterile supplies; assist in cleanup of the operating room; check placement and operation of equipment; and check and restock operating room. During surgical procedures may be responsible for special trays, graft materials, and record patient data.
- Ensure all medications are labeled and handed to surgeon according to established policies and procedures.
- Before an operation, help to prepare the operating room by setting up surgical instruments and equipment, sterile drapes, and sterile solutions. Assemble both sterile and non-sterile equipment. Adjust and check equipment to ensure it is working properly.
- During surgery, efficiently pass instruments and other sterile supplies to surgeons and surgeon assistants. Hold retractors or instruments, cut sutures, sponge or suction the operative site under the supervision of the surgeon and help count sponges, needles, supplies, and instruments.
- Assist in the preparation, care for, and disposal of specimens taken for laboratory analysis and helps apply dressings.
- Assist the surgical team with putting on sterile gowns and gloves.
- After surgery, may help transfer patients to the recovery room. Clean and restock the operating room.
- Prepare patients for surgery by wash, shave, and ensure aseptic incision sites. May transport patients to the operating room, help position them on the operating table, and cover them with sterile surgical drapes.
- Ensure clean, safe environment through continued alertness to safety and explosive hazards and aseptic technique.
Qualifications Completion of a formal surgical technician program offered by a community or junior college, vocational school, university, hospital or the military. Entry level job 0-2 years experience.Surgical specialties include but are not limited to: general, orthopedic, vascular, plastic and reconstructive, obstetrics and gynecology, thoracic, ophthalmic, neurosurgery, organ procurement and endoscopic surgical settings. Access to medications is limited to the distribution of the medication to the nurse.
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
CPR required based on AHA standards that include both a didactic and skills demonstration component within 30 days of hire
Basic Life Support (BLS) OR Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) Act 34
UPMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran
Salary Range: $16.72 to $26.54 / hour
Union Position: No
For the best application experience, we encourage you to apply for this job from a non-mobile device.