Title: R&D Analytical Specialist I
Department: Operations Technical improvement
Job Type: Regular Full time
Location: Horsham, PA
Shift: M-F 1st
NMS Labs has developed an extensive menu of more than 2,500 tests to support clients in forensic, criminalistic, public health and clinical fields. For over 50 years, our clients have relied on NMS Labs for unique testing solutions that demonstrate our company core values of Quality, Integrity, Service, Innovation and Engagement. As we work to increase the company's positive impact on public health and public safety, we are seeking talented professionals to join us for the journey! We invite you to learn more about our company by visiting NMSLabs.com.
The R&D Analytical Specialist will directly participate in The R&D Analytical Specialist may work under the guidance of an R&D Technical Specialist and reports to a Technical Director II or III
Education and Experience :
- Bachelors in a chemical, physical or biological science with a minimum of 2+ yrs lab related experience or Master's + 1 yr lab related experience
- Plus 1+ yr involvement in method improvement and/or method troubleshooting in a regulated laboratory setting
- Must have practical work experience with GCMS, GC and GCMS Triple Quad.
Major Duties & Responsibilities
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Competent in sample preparation procedures for isolation of analytes in support of analytical redevelopment efforts.
- Proficient with 1 or more of the following techniques: chromatography, mass spectrometry, capillary electrophoresis, immunoassays, cell based assays, tissue culture, RNA/DNA extraction, PCR/qPCR, Sequencing and other molecular diagnostic methods.
- Assists with method redevelopment of bioanalytical assays for the identification and quantitation of biologically active compounds (e.g., drugs and hormones) and their transformation products in biological fluids & tissues
- Performs method verifications.
- Documents and adheres to applicable SOPs.
- Prepares detailed and accurate laboratory records.
- Summarizes research findings to help inform decisions.
- Performs limited maintenance and troubleshooting of analytical instruments and methods.
- Performs basic literature searches to support method development and assists with method reports.
- Conducts work assignments of minimal complexity, under high supervision with minimal latitude for independent judgment.
- Maintains regular and reliable attendance.
- Continues to develop a culture of open communication, accountability, and timely decision-making.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Understand basic elements for teamwork and be successful in a cross functional team environment
- Possesses oral and written communication skills, and good computer skills (including use of word processors, spreadsheets and data analysis software).
- Meets regulatory compliance standards and has knowledge of and follows proper safety practices
- Ability to effectively present technical information and respond to questions in an understandable manner.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret complex technical data, procedures, and instructions in verbal, written, mathematical or diagrammatical form.
- Ability to define and resolve problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions
Physical Demands & Work Conditions
- Vision (with correction) including color, distance, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus
- Standing, reaching with hands and arms, and using hands and fingers to manipulate instrument or equipment controls, computer keyboard, office equipment, objects or tools
- Movement from one work location to another
- Sitting and standing, sometimes for extended periods of time
- Lifting objects up to 20 lbs.
- Exposure to intermittent or constant sounds generated by equipment
- Exposure to fumes, noxious odors and dust
- Handling of biological material and blood-borne pathogens
- Handling of toxic or caustic chemicals
- Proximity to moving parts
Offers of employment are made contingent upon a nationwide background investigation and urine drug screen with results satisfactory to standards of employment at NMS. NMS requires all employees to show proof of full COVID-19 vaccination.
We are an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, creed, sexual orientation, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, citizenship status, otherwise qualified disability, or protected veteran status (disabled Armed Forces Service medal, recently separated, active duty or campaign badge), domestic violence victim status, arrest record, or predisposing genetic characteristics.