Assist the Plant Engineer and supervise Maintenance Mechanics to ensure an efficient and safe maintenance operation.
Is responsible for department shift schedules and attendance. Ensure needed maintenance coverage for plant equipment in all departments.
* Pass down issues. Assign daily jobs and work orders.
* Inspect plant facilities and equipment daily. Inspect jobs in process and at completion to ensure standards of workmanship and safety are maintained.
* Assist Plant Engineer with all utilities of the plant and maintain in good working order.
* Ensure maintenance staff has a good understanding of work practices and procedures.
* Assist Plant Engineer with maintaining and ordering repair and maintenance parts, supplies, tools, and equipment.
* Actively support, monitor, and implement effective preventive maintenance programs to minimize unscheduled downtime, making adjustments as needed.
* Ensure safe work practices and a safe work environment in plant and shop areas.
* Complete and maintain record keeping in SAP.
* Assist Plant Engineer to provide Maintenance Mechanics with the necessary training on existing and new equipment.
* Work with Plant Engineer to resolve equipment breakdown issues.
* Assign mechanics work orders to resolve GMP, USDA and safety issues.
* Assist the Plant Engineer on capital and special projects.
* Work with the Purchasing Agent to ensure an adequate inventory of spare parts and equipment.
* Demonstrate ability to work unsupervised and make competent decisions when Plant Engineer is not available.
* Help implement CI Programs to include Lean, Kaizen, 5S, and Leader Standard Work. Suggest and design process improvements and safety improvements.
* Attend required training, including but not limited to GMP's, HAACP, SQF, Safety, etc.
* Dedicate effort to safety as we expect every employee to leave work in the same condition as they arrive.
* Exhibit the values and ethics of Dairy Farmers of America through honesty, discretion, and sound judgment.
* Follow all DFA GMP's and work in a manner consistent with all corporate and regulatory, food safety, quality and sanitation requirements.
* Due to the nature of the job, this individual will be required for some on call and weekend work.
* The requirements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by employee, but is not a complete list of responsibilities, duties and skills required. Other duties may be assigned as required.
Education and Experience
* High School Degree or GED required
* BS Degree in related field preferred
* 3 years' experience in food or processing maintenance required
* 1+ year of supervisory experience preferred
* Certification and/or License -- Electrical, welding, boiler, refrigeration, compressed air, waste water, or plumbing licenses or certificates are a plus
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
* Mechanical background
* Understanding of PMO valves operation, troubleshooting, and repair
* Basic understanding of plant computer networking
* Must have good communication skills and an ability to delegate responsibilities
* Must be able to read, write and speak English