Medical Record Technician
Strategic Resources, Inc. (SRI) is an international, ISO 9001:2015 Certified, CMMI Level 3 Rated full-service provider with more than 32 years' experience in the Federal, military, and commercial marketplaces. SRI seeks committed and passionate professionals to provide critical services in support of the Adjutant General School Human Resources Transformation. Whether you are a prospective employee looking to join our unique corporate environment or a customer looking for a committed partner in meeting your organization's goals, our invitation is the same. Come and experience the difference for yourself.
We offer our full-time employees a competitive benefits package to include health, dental, vision, 401K, life insurance, short-term and long-term disability plans, vacation time and holidays.
Please visit SRI corporate site at . Click here for employment with SRI:
We are seeking a full-time Medical Record Technician to join our team to provide medical care to detainees in custody at the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) Health Services Corps (IHSC) Medical Facility located in York, PA.
The IHSC exists within the organizational structure of the United States Enforcement and Removal Operations (ERO) under the supervision of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). The United States Public Health Service (USPHS) Commissioned Corps Officers, civil service staff and contractors comprise the healthcare professionals working together to provide quality healthcare services. IHSC serves as the medical experts for ICE for detainee health care.
IHSC's mission is to provide medical care to maintain the health of individuals in the custody of ICE through an integrated health care delivery system, based on nationally recognized correctional, detention and residential health care standards. The Agency is committed to providing healthcare services to protect the nation's health, reduce global disease and provide medical support for the law enforcement mission of the safe apprehension, enforcement and removal of detained individuals involved in immigration proceedings. IHSC is committed to ensuring a system of care that is ethical, responsible, and accountable through rigorous surveillance and monitoring activities.
ATTRIBUTES AND PROFESSIONAL QUALITIES:
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Critical thinking skills
- Cultural competency.
- Integrity and honesty
- Experience in a detention/correctional or residential healthcare setting (preferred, not Required)
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent.
- Minimum of one year experience in a healthcare setting as a medical record technician, medical record clerk, unit secretary, or similar position where the processing of electronic medical/health records was part of the daily responsibilities.
- This position does not require privileging by IHSC.
- Maintains Heartsaver CPR AED certification through the American Heart Association.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of the basic principles of standard electronic medical record procedures,
methods, and requirements to perform a full range of routine medical records management.
- Knowledge of the procedures, rules, operations, sequence of steps, documentation
requirements, time requirements, functions, and workflow to process electronic medical records, to review records for accuracy and completeness, and to keep track of processing deadlines.
- Knowledge of medical terminology.
- Ability to manage high volume of medical records daily to include intake, discharge, and
requests for records from outside sources.
- Ability to recognize information inconsistencies and take appropriate action to resolve.
- Ability to maintain an electronic medical record system and ensure compliance with all
regulatory agencies that provide governance and guidance on handling medical records in an appropriate manner.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural and multi-lingual environment.
- Ability to work approximately 90% of time using computers, scanners, and printers and
literate in their usage.
- Ability to utilize telephonic interpreter/translation services to complete assigned duties if not fluent in a language the patient understands.
- Ability to adapt to sudden changes in schedules and flexibility in work requirements.
- Ability to communicate proficiently in English (verbal and written) in order to develop
positive rapport with patients, co-workers and other stakeholders.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships in a multidisciplinary
- Ability to navigate in an electronic work environment including electronic health records,
web based training and communications.
- Knowledge of, and a high level of proficiency in, common Microsoft Office programs,
specifically Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and SharePoint.
- Knowledge of regulations (HIPAA/Privacy Act) regarding the confidentiality of patient
medical records and information as well as Personally Identifiable Information (PII).
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Prepares, updates, and maintains a medical record for each patient ensuring accuracy of
- Maintains appointment system for patients and clinical staff where applicable.
- Tracks compliance with scheduled patient appointments, making timely reminders notices, or calls to the clinic and IHSC staff prior to each appointment where applicable.
- Determines coding for relevant medical record forms from appropriate references.
- Files/scans laboratory, radiology, and other reports in appropriate sections of the electronic medical record within prescribed time period.
- Routes clinical reports to appropriate clinic staff within prescribed time period.
- Archives clinical information from the medical record within prescribed time period in
accordance with established IHSC policy and procedures.
- Corresponds with outside medical facilities and contract vendors to request pertinent medical information to place in the medical record using appropriate and authorized ICE and IHSC forms. Tracks requests and performs follow-up ensuring receipt of information requested.
- Reviews all documentation for completeness and routes incomplete documents to the
appropriate provider for correction prior to placing/scanning in the medical records.
- Retrieves and transports required and requested medical records to the appropriate provider throughout the medical facility using appropriate IHSC policy and procedures to maintain privacy.
- Uses multiple mediums to process a variety of narrative and tabular material (e.g.,
correspondence, tabular data, reports, etc.) to prepare, update, and maintain a medical record and provide required and requested information to appropriate medical personnel.
- Performs record keeping functions in accordance with program policies and position.
- Maintains a high level of proficiency and ease of use utilizing electronic health records.
- Completes and passes all discipline specific competencies testing, initially and annually.
- Completes all initial, annual and ad hoc training as required/assigned.
- Maintains patient confidentiality, and confidentiality of medical records, in compliance with the Privacy Act and HIPAA regulations in all work activities.
- Adheres to, and maintains awareness of, IHSC Policies, Procedures, Directives, Operational Memoranda and accreditation standards as prescribed by ICE/IHSC.
- Adheres to, and participates in, IHSC's Safety, Prevention, Infection and Control, Quality
Improvement, Patient Education and other programs and collateral duties as appropriate to position.
- Attends and participates in general/medical staff meetings.
- Other duties as assigned.
DUTY HOURS/ON-CALL REQUIREMENTS:
- IHSC operates 24/7/365; this position is required to respond during an emergency activation.
- This full time position is required to be available telephonically during non-core hours.
- On-call availability is not required for this position.
- The Department of Homeland Security's Personnel Security Unit (PSU) must render a Preliminary Favorable Fitness Determination to be considered a qualified candidate.
- A Complete Favorable Fitness Determination must be rendered by PSU upon completion of initial and subsequent background investigations to meet the requirements of this position.
- Must be a US Citizen.
- Required to walk unaided at a normal pace for up to 10 minutes and maintain balance.
- Required to respond to any medical emergency within 4 minutes, where a fast walk or jog may be necessary to provide assistance.
- Required to perform CPR/emergency care standing or kneeling.
- Must have the ability to assist sick, injured or aging detainees or staff exiting the building during an emergency (may require lifting, dragging, wheeling or carrying someone who weighs significantly more than self).
- Must be able to see, hear and smell with or without the use of aides if necessary
(exceptions on a case by case basis).
- Must easily alternate between kneeling and standing.
- Must be able to lift, push, or carry 30 pounds.
- Must perform the duties in a stressful and often austere environment without physical
- Must be capable of standing on hard services (cement floors) for long periods of time.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
In order to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals, employment decisions will be based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. SRI does not discriminate against any person because of race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law (referred to as "protected status"). This nondiscrimination policy extends to all terms, conditions, and privileges of employment as well as the use of all company facilities, participation in all company-sponsored activities, and all employment actions such as promotions, compensation, benefits, and termination of employment.