Job DescriptionJob Title: Registered Respiratory Therapi
Job ID: 834818031
Shift: Evening Job
Department: Respiratory Care Service
Registered Respiratory Therapist
CASUAL - Evening shift with rotation
Posted: June 3, 2020
UPMC Altoona's Respiratory Care Department is a fast paced, high acuity, protocol driven, team oriented and goal driven department. We are involved in all aspects of patient care from geriatric to neonatal.
Administers respiratory care services to patients via Medical Staff approved techniques and procedures and with rules of respiratory care services. Cleans, repairs, and services respiratory care equipment and performs other related work. Has an active role in inservice education and orientation programs.
- Performs arterial puncture using both the radial and brachial arteries (may use femoral artery with a doctor's order).Performs capillary punctures on newborn infants and small children using either heel or finger sticks.
- Administers bedside pulmonary function tests.
- Prepares and maintains required reports and patient records.
- Administers medical gases utilizing the following equipment: cannula, tent, croupette, mask, aerosol mask, HFNC and trach collar.
- Efficiently employs available equipment and supplies giving due care to their use and maintenance.
- Administers IPPV, IPPB, aerosol, nebulizer, and incentive spirometry treatments. All of the above contain drugs except incentive spirometry.
- Responsible for operating, maintenance, calibration, and performance of blood gas analyzers.
- Consults with and advises Certified Respiratory Therapist (CRT) regarding proper use of equipment, management of difficult patients, etc.
- Takes an active role in inservice education of the staff and well as orientation of new Department employees. Serves as a preceptor for the CRT staff during competency reviews. Assesses competency by observing the staff members' knowledge, skills, and behaviors necessary for the safe and effective delivery of respiratory care.
- Does work rotating shifts as need arises. Assists with planning, coordination, and supervision of the activities of the technical staff during the shift.
- Assists in the evaluation of equipment the Department is considering to purchase.
- Assists in the quality assurance program within the Department.
- Demonstrates knowledge and ability to adapt to clinical treatment and instructional aspect of care to all stages of the life cycle and to various states of health and disease.
- Keeps up to date with current trends and developments.Maintains working knowledge of Department procedure manuals.Participates in inservice programs to improve respiratory practice.Employee complies with established occupational exposure policies.
- Initiates and maintains mechanical pulmonary ventilation equipment in the ED, Nursery and ICU settings.
- Maintains an adequate level of laboratory supplies for the Blood Gas laboratory.
- Available for staff adjustments to help assure sufficient number of qualified staff are available to meet patient needs and respond to unusual occurrences and/or increased patient acuity.
- Administers aerosols for the purpose of sputum induction
Qualifications Education and Formal Training Required:
In accordance with Act 60, State Board of Medicine, and State Board of Osteopathic Medicine, must provide the Hospital with a copy of his/her current temporary practice permit or current certificate to practice in the Commonwealth as a Respiratory Care Practitioner.
Graduate of an AMA accredited school of respiratory therapy and successfully pass the registry exam.
pecific Abilities:1.Works under the general supervision of the Administrative Director and Advanced Respiratory Therapist and Clinical Coordinator of Respiratory Care. 2.Performs regular functions without direct supervision.3.Consults the Advanced Respiratory Therapist and Clinical Coordinator, Administrative Director, and Medical Director as required.Basic Life Support (BLS) OR Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP) Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT) Respiratory Care Practitioners (RCP) Act 33 with renewal Act 34 with renewal Act 73 FBI Clearance
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
CPR required based on AHA standards that include both a didactic and skills demonstration component within 30 days of hireMust complete Neonatal Resuscitation Program within one year of Hire Date
UPMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran
Salary Range: $19.62 to $31.02 / hour
Union Position: No
For the best application experience, we encourage you to apply for this job from a non-mobile device.