Job DescriptionJob Title: Health Unit Coordinator 5th Floor
Job ID: 34973273
Hours: 8 hour shifts
Department: 5 East Medicine
UPMC East is hiring a Full-Time Health Unit Coordinator to help support the Medical/Oncology (5th Floor) Department for its Monroeville location. This position will work rotating 8 hour shifts including weekends/holidays.
Greets all patients, family members, visitors and staff members. Assists with all communications regarding the department, accurately updates and maintains patient flow process and coordinate patient tests and procedures.
- Maintains par levels for designated supplies and forms including down time folders. Rounds through family lounge to assure proper items are stocked and room is maintained. Reconciles charges accordingly including but not limited to custom braces and CRRT. Performs unit audits as directed. Initiates quiet time or monitors noise level. Strictly adheres to all policies and practices relative to patient care and hospital related information. Adheres to HIPAA and blocked policies. Complies with safety policies and procedures including standard precautions. Performs assigned work in a timely and productive manner.
- Maintains accurate unit communication including, but not limited to, promptly answering telephones, activating the paging system, facilitating timely faxing, and distributing patient and unit mail. Greets and assists visitors, physicians and other staff members. Utilizes hospital information systems, including but not limited to eRecord, MARS, Medipac, Bedboard, and Teletracking. Updates Bedboard per unit standards and communicates changes to appropriate staff as needed. Enters and communicates physician orders timely and accurately. Maintains the medical record and patient chart according to established policy. Assures that patient identification plate is correct and that patient identification labels are available at all times. Coordinates other unit activities including, but not limited to scheduling of tests and procedures, scheduling patient transports, completing errands, maintaining appropriate logs and filing reports appropriately.
- Maintains office equipment including, but not limited to, computers, telephones, refrigerator temperatures, printers, and fax machines. Submits repair requests to the appropriate departments and follows up as needed. Reports Bedboard discrepancies to Bed Flow Coordinator, or appropriate person. Establishes appropriate and effective communication strategies. Establishes professional and respectful interpersonal relationships.
- Suggests and supports changes within the department. Assumes responsibility for assignments and views problems as challenges. Demonstrates awareness of how one's own behavior impacts the efficient functioning of the department.
- Constructively receives feedback and direction. Identifies and communicates learning needs to the unit director. Takes action to improve knowledge, skills and performance. *Serves as a resource for staff and other disciplines. Serves as a preceptor for new staff members. Prior to performing new or challenging tasks, requests assistance and reviews relevant policies and procedures. Requests assistance in planning and prioritizing activities as needed. Participates in self-review as requested by the unit director. Participates in project and committee work.
High school diploma or equivalent.
Knowledge of medical terminology and computer applications.
Ability to effectively communicate both orally and in writing.
Completion of a Certified Health Unit Secretary course preferred.
In the course of duties may be asked to distribute medications to the nurse at the bedside. Access to medications is limited to the distribution of the medication to the nurse.
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
UPMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran
Salary Range: $13.73 to $20.98 / hour
Union Position: No
For the best application experience, we encourage you to apply for this job from a non-mobile device.