Job DescriptionJob Title: Licensed Practical Nurse
Job ID: 731275
Facility: Heritage Place
Department: Team I (Center F
Under the direction of a registered nurse (RN), the Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) provides resident care within the scope of the Practical Nurse Act of Pennsylvania. The LPN, in collaboration with other members of the interdisciplinary team, ensures the physical, medical and psychosocial needs of the resident are met.
- Applies basic nursing knowledge and skills within the framework of Relationship Based Care, using the nursing process to meet the clinical, psychosocial and spiritual needs of the patient and family. Communicates effectively, both verbally and in documentation. Demonstrates critical thinking in the identification of clinical, social, safety, spiritual issues within the episode of care. Learns to incorporate national professional organization as well as business unit and health system's goals to improve patient safety, quality and satisfaction. Formulates a plan of care and daily goals that consider individual patient needs. Demonstrates initiative and seeks formal and informal opportunities to improve clinical practice.
- Assists the RN and interdisciplinary team in evaluating, planning, and implementing plans of care.
- Assumes responsibility for assignment and views problems as challenges.
- Assures equipment malfunctions are reported to the appropriate department.
- Communicates effectively with residents and families about care concerns. Instructs and demonstrates care.
- Complies with all safety policies and procedures, including Infection Control Precautions.
- Complies with established medication use policies.
- Constructively receives feedback and direction.
- Contributes to the unit activities including, but not limited to, responding to call lights and telephones, passing meal trays and transporting residents.
- Demonstrates a basic knowledge of research, how it affects practice and who/what resources are available to assist with evidence based practice by asking questions, demonstrating interest, participating in unit-based journal clubs. Clinical practice demonstrates knowledge of how quality and innovation impacts resident satisfaction, safety, and clinical quality outcomes. Identifies opportunities for improvement in the clinical area. Utilizes nursing process in providing care to residents including data gathering, interdisciplinary planning, and implementation, evaluation of resident care, teaching and discharge planning utilizing evidence-based standards of nursing practices. Provides basic psychosocial support and counseling. Collaborates with physician and care team to ensure quality resident care. Reports and records all changes observed in condition or behavior of residents in accordance with documentation practices and policies. Complies with established medication use policies, safety policies and procedures including standard infection control practices.
- Demonstrates accountability for professional development that improves the quality of professional practice and the quality of patient care. Makes recommendations for the improvement of clinical care and the health of the workplace and welcomes and participates in change initiatives. Leads by investing and building healthy relationships among staff, colleagues and other disciplines. Shows the ability to set priorities and demonstrates an understanding of shared governance and promotes at the unit level. Serves as an engaged member of a team supporting colleagues in service to patients and families and may participate in task forces or other initiatives. Assumes 24-hour responsibility for delivery of safe, competent, and quality resident care, and efficient operations of the nursing unit through supervision and evaluation of all nursing staff. Completes required/requested reports, evaluations, and assignments accurately and timely. Represents the organization in a positive and professional manner, interacting and communicating with dignity and respect.
- Demonstrates awareness of behavior on the efficient functioning of the department.
- Demonstrates the ability to communicate clearly and effectively with all members of the health care team. Demonstrates awareness of cultural diversity, horizontal violence and impairment in the health professions. Cares for residents, staff, and self by supporting and promoting a culture of safety in the workplace, recognizing hazards, reporting and investigating incidents in a timely manner in accordance with policies, regulations, and prudent practices.
- Discusses any resident or family concerns with RN in charge, so that issues can be appropriately addressed.
- Establishes appropriate and effective communication strategies.
- Establishes professional and respectful interpersonal relationships.
- Identifies and communicates learning needs to the Unit Manager/Nursing Leader.
- Observes and records residents symptoms, condition, and/or reactions to medications and treatments and reports results to the RN in charge.
- Oversees care given by Certified Nursing Assistants to ensure adequate and timely care is provided .
- Participates in resident care conferences.
- Participates in self-review as requested by Unit Manager.
- Performs assigned work in a timely and productive manner.
- Prior to performing new or challenging skills, requests assistance and reviews relevant policies and procedures.
- Provides appropriate, direct resident care. Gives injections, takes vital signs, performs basic diagnostic tests, observes residents, dresses wounds, administers medication. Provides IV therapy as permitted by practice act and policy.
- Requests assistance to help in planning and prioritizing activities as needed.
- Requests opportunities to learn safe, accountable and autonomous practice from more experienced nurse leaders. Seeks, accepts and utilizes performance feedback from peers, preceptors and other leaders as a learning opportunity and to improve practice. Demonstrates enthusiasm for continuous learning and identifies and creates a plan for the continuation of learning and development. Identifies resident and family needs for education and provides needed information. Seeks professional development and involvement through membership in a professional nursing organization and/or reading professional literature on a regular basis.
- Seeks guidance and asks questions to continuously improve nursing practice. Creates a caring and compassionate patient-focused experience by building healing relationships with patient, families, staff, and colleagues. Identifies ethical situations within patient care or within the workplace and seeks assistance. Professionally accepts assignments. Applies policies and procedures in fair and consistent manner. Ensures nursing care is delivered in accordance with Pennsylvania Practice Act, established Standards of Care, Policies and Procedures, and regulations. Ensures resident care is documented appropriately in the residents' medical record and addresses any areas of non-compliance issues timely. Ensures efficient and thorough hand-off of information from shift to shift to promote communication of residents status and needs. Facilitates communication between all nursing personnel, other departments/disciplines, and physicians and ensures necessary follow-up actions are taken. Ensures appropriate and timely implementation of physician's orders and timely notification of physician/CRNP/PA of any changes in resident condition. Communicates necessary information to family/responsible person.
- Strictly adheres to all policies and practices relative to resident care and facility-related information.
- Suggests and supports changes within the department.
- Takes action to improve knowledge, skills and performance based on feedback or from self-identified development needs.
Completion of a Practical Nursing Program approved by the State Board of Nursing. Long term care experience preferred.
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
CPR required based on AHA standards that include both a didactic and skills demonstration component within 30 days of hire
- Act 34 Criminal Clearance
- Act 34 Criminal Clearance
- Basic Life Support or Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation
- Licensed Practical Nurse
- Older Adult Protective Services Act
- Older Adult Protective Services Act
UPMC is an equal opportunity employer. Minority/Females/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
Salary Range: $19.21 to $26.54 / hour
Union Position: No
For the best application experience, we encourage you to apply for this job from a non-mobile device.