Job DescriptionJob Title: Child Life Specialist, Assoc
Job ID: 97059781
Shift: Day Job
Facility: UPMC Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh
Department: Child Life
The Child Life Specialist is responsible for providing developmentally appropriate education, preparation and programming which optimizes growth and development of children, supports and maintains normal living patterns and minimizes psychosocial trauma associated with healthcare experiences. Possesses a theoretical knowledge base of normal child development and the psychosocial effects of hospitalization and illness on children and families. Demonstrates competence in clinical skills, problem solving and priority setting.
- Support, direct and assess the performances of the Child Life Assistants. Is active in the training and supervision of students and volunteers.
- Communicate developmentally appropriate explanations regarding medical encounters to patients and families. Assist patients and parents in understanding the issues of hospitalization and illness through preparation and post-procedural debriefing. Provide emotional support to patients during medical procedures through stress point coping techniques.
- Collect, assess and record information regarding the patient and/or family to identify developmental level and psychosocial needs. Develop, update and implement individualized child life plans for priority patients. Document in the electronic chart in compliance with the child life policy and standards.
- Maintain an environment which is safe, supportive and developmentally based. Provide therapeutic activities for supervised individuals and patient groups, which encourage expression of feelings and promote a sense of mastery and understanding of health care experiences.
- Discuss death, bereavement, loss and related issues with patients, siblings and families, when appropriate.
- Cooperatively communicate patient needs and normal child development issues with health care staff through documentation, rounds, patient care conferences and meetings. Refer patients and families to appropriate services and supporting programs as needed.
- Advocate for patient and Family Centered Care. Establish rapport and orients the patient and family to the hospital environment. Support the child's relationship with parents, siblings and peers. Help the patient and family make the transition from home to hospital and from hospital to home.
Bachelor's degree in Child Life, Child Development, Child and Family Studies, Psychology or a related health care major.
Completion of a 480 hour Child Life Internship under the direct supervision of a Certified Child Life Specialist. This reflects eligibility requirements to sit for the Child Life Professional Certification Examination with the Child Life Council, Inc., Bethesda, MD
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
Basic Life Support (BLS) OR Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) - required based on AHA standards that include both a didactic and skills demonstration component within 30 days of hire
Act 31 Child Abuse Reporting
Act 33 with renewal
Act 34 with renewal
Act 73 FBI Clearance
Certified Child Life Counsel - Certification required within 1 year of hire
UPMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran
Salary Range: $18.79 to $31.23 / hour
Union Position: No
For the best application experience, we encourage you to apply for this job from a non-mobile device.