Functions as a member of the operating room or surgery center nursing team providing direct care to the surgical patient and performs other related duties under the direction of the registered nurse.Responsibilities:
- Utilizes hospital policy to meet JCAHO requirements.
- Assists surgeon as scrub technician according to prescribed standards. Scrubs and dones gown and gloves in accordance with performance standards.
- Maintains proper traffic control in the Operating Room Suite. Maintains use and cleanliness of autoclaves by following directions of use and cleaning.
- Maintains correct count of sponges, instruments, and needles with circulating nurse and reports correctness or discrepancies according to department policy. Maintains aseptic technique at all times.
- Observes patient and is ready for emergencies.
- Knows where all supplies are kept and is able to get them or put them away accordingly.
- Assists in handling of specimens as directed. Assists in application of dressing, casts and in moving of patient as directed. Assists in the clean up of the room, furniture, supplies and equipment after a procedure.
- Assists in workroom in cleaning, storage, packing and autoclaving of instruments.
- Employee complies with established occupation exposure policy.
- Sets up table, instruments, and supplies according totype of operation. Assists in preparation and draping of patient and operative area according to need. Anticipates need for instruments, sutures, sponges, etc.