Associate Packaging Engineer
West Pharmaceutical Services, Inc. is a leading manufacturer of packaging components and delivery systems for injectable drugs and healthcare products. Working by the side of its customers from concept to patient, West creates products that promote the efficiency, reliability and safety of the world's pharmaceutical drug supply. West is headquartered in Exton, Pennsylvania, and supports its customers from locations in North and South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. West's 2018 sales of $1.7 billion reflect the daily use of approximately 112 million of its components and devices, which are designed to improve the delivery of healthcare to patients around the world.
Provide project support for the development of new packaging, products, and technologies. Contribute to the selection of materials, create specifications, and manage tasks associated with the development of unique and functional packaging that enhances and preserves the value of West's products. Perform packaging process development activities and equipment setup as appropriate in laboratory and production environment following all appropriate cGMPs and company policies and procedures.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Contribute to R&D activities and assist with tasks for various engineering projects that will allow the achievement of project goals and objectives through the implementation of new and/or improved packaging designs and processes.
- Assist in planning and execution of packaging design verification activities and support process validation activities as required, including helping with sample preparation and testing
- Contribute ideas that will help the team to conceptualize and develop prototypes for new innovative packaging solutions to maintain West's position as an industry leader. Execute assigned tasks involved with conducting experiments to verify package performance and integrity.
- Assist with writing protocols, reports, and risk analyses to support and maintain Design History File (DHF).
- Assist with the installation, setup, and qualification efforts for new testing equipment in the packaging lab. Assist in the development of test methods for evaluation and validation of packaging designs.
- Maintain laboratory equipment and ensure compliance with the appropriate industry and government regulations.
- Support operations by helping to transfer packaging procedures and providing training and guidance to production and quality assurance personnel.
- Provide post-commercialization packaging support to West plants and customers to sustain current business.
- Maintain awareness of technology trends through literature, trade shows, and intellectual property.
- Performs other duties as assigned based on business needs.
- Conforms with and abides by all regulations, policies, work procedures, instruction, and all safety rules.
- Exhibits regular, reliable, punctual and predictable attendance.
- Bachelor's degree in Packaging, Mechanical, Chemical Engineering or related engineering discipline
- 1-3 years of experience in a professional technical role
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Master's degree preferred
- Prior education or experience with packaging design, materials, manufacturing processes, and test methodology
- Prior experience in medical device or pharmaceutical packaging
- Travel (up to 10%) to West facilities, suppliers, and customers for project management and coordination.
Physical and Mental Requirements
- Must be able to occasionally (2 times per month) lift and carry boxes weighing up to 15 lbs without assistance in order to package and palletize engineering samples
- Understand of fundamental engineering principles
- Effective problem-solving abilities and strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Dependable, detail oriented, and able to multi-task
West is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please send an email to . Where permitted by law, an offer of employment with West Pharmaceutical Services, or any of its subsidiary or affiliate companies, is contingent upon the satisfactory completion of background screening and/or a pre-employment drug screening.