Job DescriptionJob Title: Lead Pharmacy Technician
Job ID: 79629749
Hours: Daylight, evening, and weekend hours
Are you an experienced Pharmacy Technician looking to take the next step in your career? UPMC St. Margaret's is looking for a motivated Lead Pharmacy Technician to join their inpatient team! This is a great opportunity for someone looking to gain leadership experience and has a passion for pharmacy. This is a full-time position that will work rotating daylight, evenings, weekends, and holidays.
We offer a competitive wage, a generous total rewards benefits package, and the ability to grow in your career with our built-in Pharmacy Technician career ladder. Apply today to learn more!
The Lead Pharmacy Technician provides pharmaceutical care to patients within the UPMC Health System by demonstrating proficiency in knowledge, skills, and leadership in a designated area of pharmacy operations. Examples of areas that a Lead Pharmacy Technician may include the sterile products area, RobotRX operations, general pharmacy operations, operating room, non-sterile product packaging areas, and controlled substances. The Lead Pharmacy Technician is responsible for coordinating daily activities with pharmacists and pharmacy management, mentoring and instructing new technicians in designated areas of responsibility, and developing policies and procedures optimize general workflow and better provide effective patient care and pharmacy services. These services are provided in compliance with state and federal regulations, The Joint Commission Standards, and the mission and policies of the hospital and department.
- Filling: Assist in filling medication orders through correct labeling, counting and stocking practices. Initial and date products as required.
- Distribution: Participate in the distribution of medication including medication cassettes, emergency medication carts and the delivery of controlled substances per department policy and state and federal requirements
- Create and lead departmental quality improvement activities in order to continually improve and evaluate pharmaceutical care as reflected by operational and patient care indicators. Provide direction and leadership for DESIGNATED technical aspects associated with medication preparation in the pharmacy department. Oversee the coordination of daily activities, organization of duties and responsibilities, and the development of workflow guidelines and other necessary tools to maximize productivity in DESIGNATED area. Assist in training other Pharmacy Technicians in determining their ability to function in DESIGNATED area of the Pharmacy department.
- Investigational: Assist in the procurement, accountability, storage, preparation and distribution of investigational and study drugs.
- Provide feedback to the needs of the department and other associates in a respectful and effective manner consistent with UPMC values. Exhibit effectiveness during interactions with other hospital personnel in a manner supportive of our culture of service excellence, with enthusiasm for customer service and a passion to offer an outstanding patient experience.
- Develop workflow guidelines, policies and procedures, and other necessary tools to maximize productivity, standardize practice, and maintain regulatory readiness in area of responsibility. Oversee and instruct other associates in the DESIGNATED area regarding day-to-day activities. Regularly inspects the DESIGNATED area to ensure that it is clean and well-maintained.
- Provide progressive technical knowledge, coordination of activities, support of new initiatives, and creates a shared experience and support among associates within DESIGNATED area.
- Prepare reports as required to support pharmacy activities. Demonstrate a service orientation toward patients, staff and visitors. Conveys a positive, professional image at all times. Demonstrate a high level of knowledge understanding the laws associated with the purchasing and distribution of controlled substances.
- Demonstrate a high level of accuracy and skill in maintaining controlled substance records and the distribution process for controlled substances. Audit and maintain accurate records for controlled substances. Assure that all such drugs are stored and dispensed in compliance with Federal, State, and Department Regulations. Demonstrate competency in performing high skill level activities in DESIGNATED area such as sterile products/IV admixtures, controlled substances, robot operation, packaging operations, and operating room.
- Accurately complete departmental documentation and billing by the end of each scheduled shift in accordance with Department procedures.
- Maintain all pertinent documentation as required. This includes eye wash logs, refrigerator logs, perpetual inventory logs etc. Maintain all patient information and records. Maintain the pharmacy computer system as required. Actively engages in maintenance of data, records and files, and ensures compliance is met through record keeping.
- Procure and maintain adequate inventory levels on daily basis in applicable areas such pharmacy medication stock rooms, automated medication carousels, and automated dispensing machines.
- Ensure that all medications in all areas have been safely and securely stored according to Department of Health, The Joint Commission, and State Board of Pharmacy regulations. Comply with Federal and State laws such as HIPAA, regulations such as OSHA, and PBM contracting requirements such as FWA and CMS.
- Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned this job. They are not exhaustive lists of all duties, responsibilities, knowledge, skills, abilities and working conditions associated with the job.
Qualifications Completion of high school diploma or equivalent or Completion of an accredited pharmacy technician program.
Five years of experience as a Pharmacy Technician or Pharmacy Operation Specialist.
Demonstrated leadership skills in current position.
Demonstrated competency in all detailed aspects of the Lead Pharmacist Technician's DESIGNATED area:
Create and evaluate policy, procedure, and training materials regarding operational workflow.
Take an active role in the training of fellow staff members in ones area of expertise.
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
Certified Pharmacy Technician (CPhT) Act 34
Pharmacy Technician Certification required.
UPMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran
Salary Range: $16.31 to $26.64 / hour
Union Position: No
For the best application experience, we encourage you to apply for this job from a non-mobile device.